Tuesday, May 20, 2014
BBC Knowledge Explainer DNA from Territory on Vimeo.
BBC Knowledge and Learning is exploring a wide variety of topics from social history to science in a series of three-minute online Explainer documentaries, and commissioned Territory (territorystudio.com) to produce an animated film on the subject of DNA.
As Will Samuel, lead designer and animator on the project explains, the approach taken wasn’t just to look into a scientific future. “We needed to find a graphic style to communicate the beauty and intricacy of DNA. We wanted to create nostalgia; taking the audience back to the days of textbook diagrams and old science documentaries, such as Carl Sagan's COSMOS and IBM’s POWER OF TEN (1977). Using the double helix circular theme as a core design we focused on form, movement and colour to create a consistent flow to the animation, drawing on references from nature, illustrating how DNA is the core to everything around us.”
Three minutes is a short time to explore a subject where most doctorates only scratch the surface, so writer Andrew S. Walsh teamed up with molecular biologist Dr Matthew Adams to distil the script down to the most fundamental elements required to understand not only DNA’s form and function but how our understanding of these discoveries has affected the wider world. While this length may feel restrictive, the team found that this limitation acted as a lens, focusing the piece on the essentials.
The Explainer series is designed to intrigue and inform, encouraging those who discover the documentaries to further explore through links to additional information found on the BBC website.
Sunday, May 4, 2014
In honor of today's Kentucky Derby win by California Chrome, I thought I'd post a breakdown of past Triple Crown winners in the hopes that California Chrome makes his way onto that list.
Triple Crown winners
Failed Triple Crown attemptsThe following horses won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness but were beaten in the Belmont:
- Pensive (1944): second to Bounding Home
- Tim Tam (1958): second to Cavan
- Carry Back (1961): seventh to Sherluck
- Northern Dancer (1964): third to Quadrangle
- Kauai King (1966): fourth to Amberoid
- Forward Pass (1968): second to Stage Door Johnny
- Majestic Prince (1969): second to Arts and Letters
- Canonero II (1971): fourth to Pass Catcher
- Spectacular Bid (1979): third to Coastal
- Pleasant Colony (1980): third to Summing
- Alysheba (1987): fourth to Bet Twice
- Sunday Silence (1989): second to Easy Goer
- Silver Charm (1997): second to Touch Gold
- Real Quiet (1998): second to Victory Gallop
- Charismatic (1999): third to Lemon Drop Kid
- War Emblem (2002): eighth to Sarava
- Funny Cide (2003): third to Empire Maker
- Smarty Jones (2004): second to Birdstone
- Big Brown (2008): Did Not Finish to Da' Tara
- I'll Have Another (2012): Did Not Start to Union Rags
Good luck, California Chrome!